Sunday, June 30, 2013

Module 2: Digital Natives vs. Digital Immigrants

The Education of Digital Natives by htrefun on GoAnimate



I am very much a digital native.  Even though I am at the older end of the digital natives, nearly all of the descriptions and uses of technology described in our readings ring true. I am on some sort of electronic device for most of my waking hours, have multiple devices that I use daily, am an early adopter of almost all current popular social media sites, have a number of online-only friends, rarely make telephone calls, and produce a podcast with my husband. I was heartbroken when I found out Google Reader was going away because that is how I start and end every day (I have since switched to Feedly). For most of these tools, I use them for personal and professional reasons.  My colleagues at the library are constantly amazed that I can pick up any device and figure it out within minutes (and annoyed that I customize the appearance to my liking at every workstation I use). So most of the information in the readings wasn’t really new to me, though I was fascinated by the physical changes this produces as outlined on the Digital Natives Map.

That being said, I see the digital divide in action every day at the library. Prensky (2006) states that, “technology changes very quickly and the Natives are programmed to – and want to – keep up with it,” while “to Digital Immigrants, some of these new norms and behaviors (…) will seem really strange” or “forever remain out of reach and impossible to master” for them. (p. 51) When I am teaching a teenager how to use a database to find information or how to download library books on their tablet, the whole process tends to go much more smoothly than when I am teaching a retiree the same things. I even find it difficult to describe some things to digital immigrants that are just so second nature to me and a part of my thought patterns. I really think a large part of the difficulty for digital immigrants stems from not just the digital language barrier, but from a sort of fear, sometimes because they are afraid to make an irreparable mistake. Digital natives, on the other hand, know that there’s almost nothing you can do on a device that can’t be undone and so feel free to play around and experiment with any new tool that comes along and mold it to their needs. It seems to me that one of the most important things a teacher can do now for students is teach them how to use that innate playfulness to educate themselves.  


Digital Natives Map: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/digitalnation/extras/digital_native.html

Prensky, M. (2006). The emerging online life of a digital native. "Don't bother me Mom, I'm learning!": how computer and video games are preparing your kids for twenty-first century success and how you can help! (pp. 40-51). St. Paul, Minn.: Paragon House.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Hayley,
    Speaking from a digital immigrant's perspective, at least for me, it's not fear of technology or of "breaking" something, it's more frustration. My brain just doesn't think the same way as a digital native, and things just aren't intuitive for me. I get frustrated when it takes me so long to figure something out. It is not really fun for me to sit down with some type of new technology and play around with it. I much prefer to sit down with someone who knows how to use it, and have them show me the basics first. Then, I will play around, but I want that someone close by, in case I run into a problem and can't get something to work! That someone is usually my husband, and although he is a digital immigrant, he is very comfortable with computers and technology. But lately, I can ask my kids if I need help :) My kids are the same as you with new technology: fearless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! I am in my mid twenties so by many standards a digital native so I think there is a confidence (or at least the shame that I should know these different technologies!) that goes along with growing up with technology. It is made to be intuitive but I think that it is intuitive for those who have grown up with technology similar to it. As each new form of the iPhone comes out, they make small changes but the general format is the same. Facebook is the same way-- with each update to my phone something looks different in the interface but the functions are still as I know them. My mom really struggles with this because she says that as soon as she learns technology one way, there is a software update and she can no longer find her way around! Unless you have the basic knowledge of technology, the intuitive design is lost in the complexity of the overall program!

      Delete
  2. Interesting point, Lana. There's been some interesting research presented about the brains of digital natives - are they wired differently? Might be something worth checking into. Or perhaps it's not an age thing, but the way in which we are wired as individuals. I, too, can pick up any device and figure it out within minutes. Though I'm not technically a native, I've very drawn to technology. I once heard that digital immigrants prefer to read the directions first before they begin, and digital natives like to jump in and figure it out as they go. Not sure how valid that argument truly is, but it's interesting nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On another note, no matter how tech savvy I am, I HATE those Captcha things. I fail every time. #fail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! I much prefer the ones that use an audio clip or simple math problem.

      Delete